Zoom, lets you change the background image so your colleagues and clients can’t see the mess inside your house. Got no time to clean up and declutter for that meeting around the corner? Want to hide your unorganized room? Why let your coworkers sneak a peek at it when you can keep your privacy and video call from some desert or some Space Station?
- It’s so fun changing your surrounding to some random funny photo. Be it some desert or seaside.
- Besides fun you will have the additional benefit of privacy.
- It can be done by adjusting your app settings.
- You can select a pre-existing version included in the service or customize your background.
While working from home during the recent turn of events, we have grown accustomed to using Zoom for work and fun, so you’ve probably noticed people altering the scenery behind them by trying Zoom’s Virtual Background.
Here’s how you can enable this feature:
How to change your Zoom background image on desktop app
1. Launch the Zoom app on your computer and sign in
2. Tap on your profile pictures, then select Settings at the top right.
3. On the menu to the left, tap Virtual Background.
4. Check the box next to I have a green screen, in case you have this feature. Then select the correct color of the screen.
5. Select one of the images from pre-set Zoom backgrounds.
6. If you want to customize or upload your image from Pc/laptop, tap the plus symbol above and to the left of the sample backgrounds and add it.
7. If prompted, click Download to start downloading the package without a green screen.
Once you are done with all these steps, Zoom will automatically save your changes for the next time.
The whole procedure is the same for both Mac and PC users, with no size restrictions on the background. But keep in mind that the image size should align with your camera’s aspect ratio. If you are uncertain, you can’t go wrong with a 1280 by 720 or 1920 by 1080 pixel image.
Enabling Zoom Virtual Background image from within a meeting on Desktop app.
If virtual background portal is already enabled, you can turn it on during a meeting.
1. In a Zoom meeting, tap the upward arrow right next to Start/Stop Video.
2. Tap Choose Virtual Background.
3. Select one of the images from pre-set Zoom backgrounds. Or tap plus symbol to add new.
4. If prompted, click Download to start downloading the package without a green screen.
How to change your Zoom background image on mobile app
Previously saved settings won’t work for mobile users. They will only be able to change their back image once the meeting commences.
Following are the steps to set up this feature on mobile:
1. Open the Zoom app on your mobile phone and sign in.
2. After the video meeting begins, tap “More” on the bottom right.
3. Select “Background and Filters.”
4. Select one of the images from pre-set Zoom backgrounds.
5. If you want to customize or upload your image from “Photos”, tap the plus symbol above and add it.
6. Tap the ” X” to go back to the meeting interface.
Frequently asked questions.
The question arises that how a green screen works in improving your Zoom Virtual Backgrounds.
If the nature of your work requires a pristine and flawless background, you may want to consider using a green screen. Without it, your virtual background looks glitchy and distorted.
Green screen/ chroma keying is a matching background in high contrast with the color of human skin tones. By enabling this feature it gets easier to digitally paste over another image.
- Bright uniform lighting should separate you from the surrounding.
- Avoid wearing green unless your prefer looking like a floating head without a torso.
In case you are facing any issues regarding Virtual Background set-up, we recommend the following troubleshooting tips:
- If you can’t find the Virtual Background tab, try sign out and sign in again to rid yourself of this problem.
- Confirm that the background is some solid color with minimal shadows to avoid glitches.
- Choose a bright setting to ensure a 3-point lighting.
- Manually select the background color to guarantee that the correct color is picked.
I hope these simple tricks will help you save yourself from embarrassing Zoom moments and gain extra points at your workplace. Happy working from home!!