Want to take screenshots on laptop (windows) to keep a record of whatever you are seeing on your laptop/computer? With your Windows device, you can capture and save screen stills as JPG or PNG files for later use.
Each of these operating systems has built-in essential screen capturing tools along with a plethora of other third-party options, as well as browser extensions to get you covered. Even if you are not well-versed with any of the methods, you need not fret. We’ve rounded up the most convenient ways to grab either a full screenshot or a part of the screen, using Windows:
Methods to take screenshots on a laptop (windows) with the Print Screen key
1. Press PrtScn.
The most easiest way to save a Screenshot is by simply using the “Print Screen” button. You will see it on the top right flank of most keyboards. Press it once and your entire screen will be saved to the clipboard. You can then copy-paste it to Paint, Microsoft Word, or some other editing program.
2. Press Alt + PrtScn.
This captures everything active on the window to the clipboard, from where you can paste it any program that displays images.
3. Press the Windows key + Shift + S.
If you wish to save just a specific part of the screen, you have to press these three keys simultaneously. Your screen will freeze.
Later with the mouse pointer, you can select that specific portion of the screen and copy it to the clipboard, paste it into another program. (This works with only the latest Windows 10 version).
Steps to take screenshots on a laptop (windows) using the Snipping tool app.
Windows offers a nimble alternative known as Snipping Tool. This utility was inducted with the Windows 10 May 2019 update.
1. Open the Snipping tool app from either the Start Menu or Search bar. It will launch a small toolbar at the top of the screen. Or use the shortcut by pressing Windows key + Shift + S.
2. You can alter the shape of the screenshot from the “Mode“ drop-down.
3. Click New and your screen will dim down. You can use a mouse pointer to select the specific portion you wish to capture. The screenshot will be created and appear in the Snipping tool window at the bottom of the screen.
4. You can edit the captured screenshot, copy it to the clipboard, crop it, or use the drawing tools to annotate it and save it later by clicking ” Save As” in your desired folder.
Steps to take screenshots on a laptop (windows) 10 with the Game Bar
Another built-in option for capturing screenshots is the Windows Game Bar. It is an overlay within Windows games to record videos as well as save screen grabs.
1. Go to the Start menu or the Xbox Console Companion program to launch a game.
2. Press the Windows key + G. The Game Bar tool will appear.
3. To take a screenshot or record screen tap the camera icon in the “Capture” section, the alternative keyboard shortcut for this is: Windows + Alt + PrtScn.
4. You can find this Video/Screenshot in the “Videos“ folder in a subfolder called “Captures.“
If this doesn’t work well for you, you have plenty of options like screenshot apps and other third-party screen-capture utilities, both free (Tech Smith Capture, LightShot) and paid (Snagit).
In case if you are playing on Steam. Simply press F11 to take a screenshot, which automatically gets saved in “Steam” folder.